Open Questions: RNA Biology
Prerequisites: Molecular biology and genetics
See also: Gene expression and regulation
Sites with general resources
- A resource page with a number of links to information about
miRNA, provided by
Ambion, Inc.. There are a
number of useful articles, and information resources. A good
place to start is this graphic
Introduction to microRNA.
Surveys, overviews, tutorials
Gene regulation by microRNAs
- Good single-page overview of microRNA.
Scientists Develop New Technique for Silencing Human Genes
- May 2001 Scientific American news article about use
of RNA interference for gene silencing.
Sean P. Ryder
The Scientist, September 2010
- Once thought to be a biological rarity, self-cleaving
RNA enzymesóribozymesóare being discovered in increasing
numbers, thanks to new search tools. Now, in addition to
studying their unusual chemical properties, scientists will
be able to identify ribozymes in useful model organisms;
bringing the field one step closer to defining whether
these catalytic RNAs have a broad function in gene regulation.
Cancer's little helpers
Tina Hesman Saey
Science News, August 28, 2010
- Tiny pieces of RNA may turn cells to the dark side.
The Scientist, December 2009
- More findings confirm that small RNAs work in mysterious ways.
Now Showing: RNA Activation
The Scientist, May 1, 2009
- RNA is supposed to silence genes, not boost gene
expression. So why are scientists seeing just that?.
Tina Hesman Saey
Science News, March 1, 2008
- New classes of RNAs emerge as key players in the brain.
MicroRNA Target Practice
The Scientist, June 20, 2005
- Computers suggest thousands of binding sites, but
experimental support is missing.
MicroRNA Shows Macro Potential
The Scientist, June 16, 2003
- Researchers seek targets and functions of a large new
class of small RNAs.
Biological dark matter
Science News, January 12, 2002
- Newfound RNA suggests a hidden complexity inside cells.
Copyright © 2002 by Charles Daney, All Rights Reserved