Open Questions: Bioinformatics
See also: Genetics and genomics --
Open Directory Project: Bioinformatics
- Categorized and annotated links. A version of this
list is at
Google, with entries sorted in "page rank" order. May also be
- Large collection of links to Web sites, databases, journals, and
other link collections, compiled by Inge Jonassen.
2can Bioinformatics Resources
- Medium-size list at the
2can Bioinformatics Educational Resource site.
Galaxy: Bioinformatic Servers
- Categorized site directory. Entries usually include
Sites with general resources
Bionformatics at the NIH
- Site contains information on the Biomedical Information Science
and Technology Initiative (BISTI), which encompasses
bioinformatics and computational biology. Includes some useful
The Bioinformatics Resource
- A directory of information and links related to bioinformatics,
maintained by the CCP11 Project.
- Directory of information and links related to bioinformatics
and databases of genes and proteins.
National Center for Genome Resources
- NCGR is a non-profit bioinformatics research institute that
develops and provides databases and analytical tools which enable
scientists to conduct genomic research.
European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI)
- Site contains databases, information, and tools for research
in genomics and proteomics.
Institute of Bioinformatics
- "The Institute of Bioinformatics is a not-for-profit
organization engaged in research in databases, computational
genomics and proteomics. The site contains a list of publications
Center for Bioinformatics & Computational Biology
- A branch of the U. S. National Institute of General Medical
Sciences that "supports research and research training in areas
that join biology with the computer sciences, engineering,
mathematics, and physics."
Bioinformatics & Biological Computing
- A portal with many resources for biological research using
computational and mathematical tools. This includes several
online courses in bioinformatics, including
Introduction to Bioinformatics,
Evolutionary Genomics, and
2can Bioinformatics Educational Resource
- Very extensive collection of bioinformatics educational
resources. It includes
general bioinformatics information, a number of
tutorials, a list of
books and references, a
Surveys, overviews, tutorials
- Article from
- General information about bioinformatics, from the
NCBI Science Primer
- Short promotional November 2002 article by NEC about its
R & D work in bioinformatics.
The Bioinformatics Gold Rush
Scientific American, July 2000, pp. 58-63
- The Human Genome Project has developed a database of
(essentially) the entire sequence of human DNA. Making all this
information available so as to enable the development of useful
new drugs is a whole new challenge.
- Mining the Genome
Technology Review, September-October 1999, pp. 56-63
- The Human Genome Project and other research efforts that track
expression of genes have produced massive amounts of data. Very
sophisticated pattern recognition and data analysis algorithms
are needed to identify gene function or malfunction, knowledge of
which may lead to the development of beneficial new drugs.
Copyright © 2002 by Charles Daney, All Rights Reserved