Open Questions: Diabetes
See also: Diet, metabolism, and health
- Categorized site directory. Entries usually include
Sites with general resources
United States National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive &
- A divsion of the U. S.
National Instutes of Health that deals with diabetes and
related diseases. It operates the
National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse (NDIC) and the
National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP).
The site provides access to a large amount
of pertinent information.
National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
- The NDEP site provides information on many topics related
to diabetes, including causes, prevention, treatment, and
complications of the disease. It also provides access to
informational publications and a directory of other resources.
National Diabetes Education Program
- "The National Diabetes Education Program is a federally funded
program sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human
Services' National Institutes of Health and the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention and includes over 200 partners
at the federal, state, and local levels, working together to
reduce the morbidity and mortality associated with diabetes."
The site contains information for the general public on
prevention and treatment of diabetes.
- Links to various kinds of information, from
CDC Diabetes Public Health Resource
- Large compilation of information on diabetes from many
sources, including frequently-asked questions and answers, and
external links. Provided by the U. S.
Centers for Disease Control and
- A page with information on some topics on diabetes, provided
by the U. S.
Food and Drug Administration.
- "An online resource for physicians who want the most
reliable and up-to-date diabetes information." Although
intended for physicians, the site contains useful information
American Diabetes Association
- "The American Diabetes Association is the nation's
leading nonprofit health organization providing diabetes
research, information and advocacy." The site provides many
kinds of information on diabetes, including research, prevention,
Surveys, overviews, tutorials
- Article from
- A ScienceWeek
"symposium" consisting of excerpts and summaries of
articles from various sources.
Holiday gluttony can spell disaster for undiagnosed diabetics
- Helpful information about the nature, symptoms, and avoidance
of developing diabetes from a November 2006 press release.
- Brief overview of facts about diabetes, from the BBC.
Do Contaminants Play a Role in Diabetes?
- July 2009 Scientific American article.
"A study linking a pesticide in fish to diabetes adds to the
growing chorus of studies suggesting that environmental
contaminants may play a role in the widespread disease."
Special Report: Managing Diabetes
- December 2007 Scientific American Body article that gives
an overview of diabetes and strategies for managing it.
Putting Up with Self
- December 2006 Scientific American Insights article,
subtitled "Critics warned of bad experiments and false hope.
But Denise Faustman seems to be right about a strategy to
regrow insulin-making cells killed off in diabetes."
The Influence of Fat in Diabetes
- February 2001 Scientific American news article.
Gene Therapy for Diabetes
- November 2000 Scientific American news article.
New Gene for Type 2 Diabetes
- September 2000 Scientific American news article.
A Diabetes Switch?
- Brief June 1999 Scientific American news article,
subtitled "Turning off a single gene protects mice against
obesity and type II diabetes."
Protein May Tie Obesity to Diabetes
- January 2001 news article in Science News, about the
hormone resistin, secreted by fat cells, which may play a role
Vitamin E targets dangerous inflammation
- November 2000 news article in Science News about use
of vitamin E megadoses to reduce chronic, low-grade inflammation
in people with diabetes.
Cell transplants combat diabetes in mice
- March 2000 news article in Science News, about successful
treatment of diabetes in mice, using cells grown from pancreatic
tissue of helthy animals.
The Long Road to Beta Cells
Science News, December 15, 2007
- Quest for type 1 diabetes cure inches forward.
Blood Sugar Fix
Science News, August 16, 2003
- Can novel drugs rescue insulin-making cells?
Science News, August 31, 2002, pp. 136-138
- Evidence is accumulating that the immune system's
reaction known as inflammation plays a role in the onset
of type II diabetes.
Copyright © 2002 by Charles Daney, All Rights Reserved