Open Questions: Mental Illness
The Father Factor: How Dad's Age Increases Baby's Risk
of Mental Illness
- February 2009 Scientific American Mind article, subtitled
children will have a mental illness?"
Infected with Insanity: Could Microbes Cause Mental Illness?
- April 2008 Scientific American Mind article about
the possibility that prenatal influenza infections might raise
the risk for development of schizophrenia.
Broken Mirrors: A Theory of Autism
- November 2006 Scientific American short article by
Vilayanur S. Ramachandran and Lindsay M. Oberman about the
connection between autism and mirror neurons.
Schizophrenia Linked to Viruses
- April 2001 Scientific American news article about
retroviruses found in the cerebrospinal fluid of schizophrenia
First Gene for Schizophrenia Discovered
- March 2001 Scientific American news article about the
discovery of a gene that appears to play an important role in
What happens to the body and brain of individuals with
- Scientific American Ask the Experts article.
Viruses may play a part in schizophrenia
- April 2001 news article in Science News, about elevated
activity of retroviruses in the central nervous systems of
some schizophrenia patients.
Chemical marker for schizophrenia
- November 1999 news article about the discover of a chemical
marker for schizophrenia in cerebral spinal fluid.
Schizophrenia-cannabis link raised
- February 1999 news article about how using cannabis can make
the symptoms of schizophrenia worse or begin sooner.
Exploring the Folds of the Brain--And Their Links to Autism
Claus C. Hilgetag; Helen Barbas
Scientific American, February 2009
Tina Hesman Saey
Science News, May 24, 2008
- Genes' chemical clothes may underlie the biology behind
Outside Lookin In
Science News, August 12, 2006
- Researchers open new windows on Asperger syndrome and
- Decoding Schizophrenia
Daniel C. Javitt; Joseph T. Coyle
Scientific American, January 2004
- The Early Origins of Autism
Scientific American, February 2000
Copyright © 2002 by Charles Daney, All Rights Reserved